Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
RASPBERRY PI 3 is an improvement board in PI arrangement. It tends to be considered as a solitary board PC that chips away at LINUX working framework. The board not just has huge amounts of highlights it likewise has staggering preparing pace making it reasonable for cutting edge applications. PI board is explicitly intended for specialist and architects who are keen on LINUX frameworks and IOT (Internet of Things).
Product Name Raspberry Pi 3
Product Description The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is the third generation Raspberry Pi. This powerful credit-card sized single board computer can be used for many applications and supersedes the original Raspberry Pi Model B+ and Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. Whilst maintaining the popular board format the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B brings you a more powerful processer, 10x faster than the first generation Raspberry Pi. Additionally it adds wireless LAN & Bluetooth connectivit making it the ideal solution for powerful connected designs.
RS Part Number 896-8660
Processor Broadcom BCM2387 chipset.
1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE)
GPU Dual Core VideoCore IV® Multimedia Co-Processor. Provides Open GL
ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile
Capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and
Memory 1GB LPDDR2
Operating System Boots from Micro SD card, running a version of the Linux operating system or
Windows 10 IoT
Dimensions 85 x 56 x 17mm
Power Micro USB socket 5V1, 2.5A
Ethernet 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket
Video Output HDMI (rev 1.3 & 1.4
Composite RCA (PAL and NTSC)
Audio Output Audio Output 3.5mm jack, HDMI
USB 4 x USB 2.0 Connector
GPIO Connector 40-pin 2.54 mm (100 mil) expansion header: 2×20 strip
Providing 27 GPIO pins as well as +3.3 V, +5 V and GND supply lines
Camera Connector 15-pin MIPI Camera Serial Interface (CSI-2)
Display Connector Display Serial Interface (DSI) 15 way flat flex cable connector with two data
lanes and a clock lane
Memory Card Slot Push/pull Micro SDIO
• Low cost • Consistent board format
• 10x faster processing • Added connectivit
• Low cost PC/tablet/laptop • IoT applications
• Media centre • Robotics
• Industrial/Home automation • Server/cloud server
• Print server • Security monitoring
• Web camera • Gaming
• Wireless access point
• Environmental sensing/monitoring (e.g. weather station)
Raspberry Pi-3 Pin Configuration
|PIN GROUP||PIN NAME||DESCRIPTION|
|POWER SOURCE||+5V, +3.3V, GND and Vin||+5V -power output+3.3V -power outputGND – GROUND pin|
|COMMUNICATION INTERFACE||UART Interface(RXD, TXD) [(GPIO15,GPIO14)]||UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter) used for interfacing sensors and other devices.|
|SPI Interface(MOSI, MISO, CLK,CE) x 2 [SPI0-(GPIO10 ,GPIO9, GPIO11 ,GPIO8)][SPI1–(GPIO20 ,GPIO19, GPIO21 ,GPIO7)]||SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) used for communicating with other boards or peripherals.|
|TWI Interface(SDA, SCL) x 2 [(GPIO2, GPIO3)][(ID_SD,ID_SC)]||TWI (Two Wire Interface) Interface can be used to connect peripherals.|
|INPUT OUTPUT PINS||26 I/O||Although these some pins have multiple functionsthey can be considered as I/O pins.|
|PWM||Hardware PWM available on GPIO12, GPIO13, GPIO18, GPIO19||These 4 channels can provide PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) outputs.*Software PWM available on all pins|
|EXTERNAL INTERRUPTS||All I/O||In the board all I/O pins can be used as Interrupts.|
Raspberry Pi 3 Technical Specifications
|Microprocessor||Broadcom BCM2837 64bit Quad Core Processor|
|Processor Operating Voltage||3.3V|
|Raw Voltage input||5V, 2A power source|
|Maximum current through each I/O pin||16mA|
|Maximum total current drawn from all I/O pins||54mA|
|Flash Memory (Operating System)||16Gbytes SSD memory card|
|Internal RAM||1Gbytes DDR2|
|GPU||Dual Core Video Core IV® Multimedia Co-Processor. Provides Open GLES 2.0, hardware-accelerated Open VG, and 1080p30 H.264 high- profile decode.Capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.|
|Wireless Connectivity||BCM43143 (802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1)|
|Operating Temperature||-40ºC to +85ºC|
|Ethernet||Base T Ethernet Socket|
|USB||2.0 (Four sockets)|
|Audio Output||3.5mm Jack and HDMI|
|Camera Connector||15-pin MIPI Camera Serial Interface (CSI-2)|
|Display Connector||Display Serial Interface (DSI) 15 way flat flex cable connector with two data lanes and a clock lane.|
|Memory Card Slot||Push/Pull Micro SDIO|
RASPBERRY PI – 2, RASPBERRY PI – 1, RASPBERRY PI – ZERO, RASPBERRY PI – 2 B+
Other Development Boards
INTEL GALILEO, INTEL EDISON, ESP32, ARDUINO DUE.
Where RASPBERRY PI 3 is Used?
RASPBERRY PI platform is most used after ADRUINO. Although overall applications of PI are less it is most preferred when developing advanced applications. Also the RASPBERRY PI is an open source platform where one can get a lot of related information so you can customize the system depending on the need.
Here are few examples where RASPBERRY PI 3 is chosen over other microcontrollers and development boards:
1. Where the system processing is huge. Most ARDUINO boards all have clock speed of less than 100MHz, so they can perform functions limited to their capabilities. They cannot process high end programs for applications like Weather Station, Cloud server, gaming console etc. With 1.2GHz clock speed and 1 GB RAM RASPBERRY PI can perform all those advanced functions.
2. Where wireless connectivity is needed. RASPBERRY PI 3 has wireless LAN and Bluetooth facility by which you can setup WIFI HOTSPOT for internet connectivity. For Internet of Things this feature is best suited.
3. RASPBERRY PI had dedicated port for connecting touch LCD display which is a feature that completely omits the need of monitor.
4. RASPBERRY PI also has dedicated camera port so one can connect camera without any hassle to the PI board.
5. RASPBERRY PI also has PWM outputs for application use.
There are many other features like HD steaming which further promote the use of RASPBERRY PI.
How to Use RASPBERRY PI 3
As mentioned earlier PI is simply a COMPUTER ON A SINGLE BOARD so it cannot be used like ARDUINO development boards. For the PI to start working we need to first install OPERATING SYSTEM. This feature is similar to our PC. The PI has dedicated OS for it; any other OS will not work.
We will discuss the programming of PI in step by step below.
- Take the 16GB micro SD card and dedicate it specifically for PI OS.
- Choose and Download OS software. [https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/] (‘NOOBS’ recommended for beginners )
- Format the SD card and install OS on to the SD memory card using convenient methods.
- Take the SD card after OS installation and insert it in PI board.
- Connect monitor, keyboard and mouse
- Power the board with micro USB connector
- Once the power is tuned ON the PI will run on the OS installed in the memory card and will start from boot.
- Once all drivers are checked the PI will ask for authorization, this is set by default and can be changed.
- After authorization you will reach desktop where all application program development starts.
On the PI you can download application programs required for your use and can directly install as you do for your PC. After that you can work on developing required program and get the PI run the developed programs.
- Hobby projects.
- Low cost PC/tablet/laptop
- IoT applications
- Media center
- Industrial/Home automation
- Server/cloud server
- Print server
- Security monitoring
- Web camera
- Wireless access point
- Environmental sensing/monitoring (e.g. WEATHER STATION)
- Types of Batteries and Their ApplicationsBatteries are the main source of power for any electronic wireless device, whether it’s a smartphone, laptop, watch or remote control. In this tutorial, we will briefly discuss the various types of batteries, their classification, terminology and specifications.
- Renesas RX13T MCUs IntroductionRx13T belongs to 32-bit microcontroller series, which is used for inverter control of compact motor.
- How to Build Single Transistor Amplifier Circuitwe will discuss the first class amplifier, class a amplifier, and learn how to build class a single transistor amplifier circuit.
- BAV99 Diode IntroductionThe BAV99 is a dual series switching diode with two diodes in series in a small SMD package.
- NEMA 34 Stepper Motor IntroductionThe NEMA 34 stepper motor is a stepper motor with a 3.4 x 3.4 inch (86 x 86 mm) panel.