ZLG’s 1D time-of-flight sensor module integrates a laser emitter (VCSEL), multiple single photon avalanche diode receivers (SPAD), time-to-digital converter (TDC) and histogram processing core to efficiently detect targets With measurement.
Introduction to direct time flight (dToF) technology
Direct Time Flight is a technique for calculating the distance of a target by measuring the time of flight of a photon. The schematic diagram of the principle is shown in Figure 1. The transmitter of the sensor mounted on the mobile phone emits photons, and the counter starts counting. The light is reflected by the measured object and received by the receiving end of the sensor. At this time, the value of the counter is light. The distance between the measured object and the sensor can be calculated according to the time and the speed of light. Compared with the non-direct ranging iToF on the market, dToF has the advantages of True-distance, fast response, low power consumption and accurate detection of multi-object synchronization.
Ams’s integrated dToF sensor TMF8x01 series is based on ams narrow pulse (VCSEL), single photon avalanche diode (SPAD) and high precision digitizer (TDC) for real-time photon measurement. Direct flight time for fast and accurate determination of the distance of objects. It also integrates a histogram processing core that automatically switches proximity detection and distance measurement algorithms to efficiently detect and measure targets within 2.5m.
TMF8601 Series Products Competitive Advantage
Ams’ dToF sensor TMF8601 has the following eight advantages by transmitting, receiving, and measuring photon time of flight to determine distance:
- (1) Multipath interference suppression, that is, the precise control and histogram mechanism of the SPAD (single photon avalanche diode) stopwatch timing, which minimizes the effects of multipath effects;
- (2) Close-range and long-distance segmentation processing makes the distance measurement more accurate;
- (3) Excellent stain and dirt suppression ability;
- (4) Simple calibration method;
- (5) Select low power mode or high precision mode;
- (6) Human eye safety test, has passed the level 1 eye safety certification;
- (7) Ambient light with high anti-interference, integrated optical filter, can eliminate the infrared part of strong light such as sunlight, and minimize interference;
- (8) The chip size is small, saving 33% of the space compared with mature products on the market.
TMF8X01 series parameter comparison
- Note 1: All parameters are typical
- Note 2: The measurement time of the TMF8601 proximity detection mode is 5.3ms, and the measurement duration of the ranging mode is 16.6ms.
TMF8601 application scenario
With its small size, high precision, simple peripheral circuit and strong anti-interference ability, the sensor can be widely used in measurement and control, industrial, medical and consumer electronic products. The specific applications are as follows:
- (1) Distance measurement;
- (2) smart kitchen utensils;
- (3) intelligent lamps;
- (4) smart mirror;
- (5) smart bathroom;
- (6) 3D smart door lock;
- (7) 3D brush face payment;
- (8) Intelligent black and white appliances
- (9) The robot avoids obstacles and prevents falling;
- (10) UAV landing detection;
- (11) Personal privacy protection;
- (12) Simple point and sliding gesture detection;
- (13) Target detection, camera fast focus;
- (14) Quick focus of the pico projector;
- (15) Industrial safety distance detection of objects;
- (16) The display device detects that no one is automatically turned off beforehand; (
- 17) Simple 3D modeling of logistics;
- (18) Smart trash cans, etc.
In order to facilitate the user’s evaluation and debugging, our company has launched a self-designed TMF8x01 module for the TMF8601 chip. The physical diagram is shown in Figure 3. The module encapsulates the underlying driver of the TMF8601, and only draws two lines of TXD and RXD to communicate with the external microcontroller for UART. The user only needs to operate the sensor to perform distance measurement through a simple serial port command. Our company also provides complete software and hardware design materials, including schematic design, PCB design, module software driver and module user manual.